19-20 Hubert Lau
As someone who loves to stay active and challenged, Hubert Lau has run several successful technology companies with customers in North America, Asia and Europe. Currently, Hubert is President of TrustBIX Inc., a publicly traded company on the TSX Venture Exchange. Its mission is to address consumer demands and become the most trusted and largest source of third-party food traceability and sustainability information globally – Gate to Plate®. TrustBIX’s vision is to create a world where we trust more, waste less and reward sustainable behavior.”
Hubert is an Internet Technology Creative Visionary; he and his team have been involved in several initiatives:
– Designed and built one of the most secure networks for the Integrated Response Against Organized Crime (IROC), a special joint task force involving the Edmonton and Calgary Police Services and the RCMP.
– Worked with ex-military and ex-secret services personnel, in detailed investigations of digital crime. As well, he trained alongside FBI agents with advanced digital lock systems.
– Developed a device that sends radio frequencies through the finger and “maps” it into a uniquely encrypted irreversible identifier. The device does not use the fingerprint which means that even if the finger was cut or has a blister, it still reads accurately. These devices were used by security check points in Afghanistan.
– Key member of the team that built the largest financial trading floor in Canada for Nesbitt Burns.
– Designed and implemented voice over IP networks (Internet phones) a decade before it became popular.
– Designed and implemented secure virtual networks and systems to allow companies to work on confidential projects with people from around the world a decade before cloud services became popular.
Hubert currently volunteers as:
– a Member of the Marketing Committee for Canada Beef in Calgary
– a Director of the Citadel Theatre in Edmonton
– a Director of OnSite Placement Charity in Edmonton
– a Member of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) Culinary Campaign Committee
Awards recently received:
– 2019 Alberta Leading Edge Business Award of Distinction
– 2017 Innovation of the Year – AIRMILES/American Express – Small Business Achievement Awards
– 2017 Alberta Chambers of Commerce – Small Business Award of Distinction
– 2016 Alberta Chambers of Commerce – Export Award of Distinction